Terence M. O'Sullivan (born June 29, 1955) is a labor union activist who has been president of the Laborers' International Union of North America (LIUNA) since 1999.
Terry O’Sullivan became the tenth General President of the Laborers’ International Union of North America (LIUNA) on January 1, 2000, and was unanimously reelected to his fourth full term at the union’s 25th International Convention in 2016.
O’Sullivan and LIUNA are fierce proponents of desperately needed infrastructure investments, and of an all-of-the-above energy policy, both of which create family-sustaining jobs. Under his leadership, LIUNA members have increasingly made their voices heard on these issues in the press, at forums, on social media, and in other public venues. LIUNA’s work on these and other matters of public policy have helped the union forge important partnerships with contractors and owners in the construction industry, including in the oil, natural gas, and renewable energy sectors.
Two of the most historic measures O’Sullivan led the union to adopt involve political action and organizing. Delegates to the union’s 24th International Convention passed a resolution significantly increasing LIUNA members’ investment in political action, raising more than $15 million per election cycle, and positioning LIUNA’s Political Action Committee (PAC) as one of the top PACs in the United States. Delegates to the 23rd International Convention decided to devote 25 cents for every hour worked by a Laborer to LIUNA’s organizing efforts, generating more than $90 million per year – more than almost any other union in North America.
A fiery orator who is never afraid to speak his mind, Terry O’Sullivan can rally and inspire a crowd of Laborers one moment, then meet with top corporate leaders the next. He is equally at home on a construction site as he is in a boardroom.
Terry O’Sullivan currently serves as the Labor Co-Chairman of the Laborers’ Training and Education Fund, LIUNA’s national training arm. He is Chairman of the Board of the LIUNA Charitable Foundation, which raises money to fund research into the diseases that are the major causes of illness and death among Laborers and their families. General President O’Sullivan also holds the following labor and industry leadership positions:
- Member of the Governing Board of Presidents of North America’s Building Trades Unions (NABTU), AFL-CIO
- Member of the Executive Council and Executive Committee of the AFL-CIO
- Board Member and former Chairman, CEO, and President of the Union Labor Life Insurance Company (ULLICO)
- Labor Chairman of American Income Life (AIL)
- Chairman of the National Heavy and Highway Coalition
- Board Member of the National Infrastructure Alliance (NIA)
- Member of the Management Committee of Americans for Transportation Mobility (ATM)
- Board Member of America’s Agenda: Health Care for All
- Board Member of the Union Sportsmen’s Alliance
- A long-time, vocal supporter of Sinn Féin and its work to secure a peaceful, just, and united Ireland, Terry O’Sullivan serves as President of New York Friends of Ireland and Chairman of DC Friends of Ireland.
Prior to becoming General President, Terry O’Sullivan served as LIUNA Vice President, Mid-Atlantic Regional Manager, and Assistant to the General President. Before that, he served LIUNA in many positions, including Chief of Staff; Staff Assistant to the General President; Administrator of the LIUNA Tri-Funds; Assistant Director of the LIUNA Construction, Maintenance, and Service Trades Department; and Administrator of the West Virginia Laborers’ Training Center. A proud native of San Francisco, California, he joined LIUNA in 1974, and is a long-time member of LIUNA Local Union 1353 in Charleston, West Virginia.