Steven Madden, Ltd., also known as Steve Madden, is a publicly traded company based in Long Island City, New York. Founded by the eponymous designer and businessman Steve Madden, the company designs and markets shoes and fashion accessories for women, men and children. The company's brands include Steve Madden, Steven by Steve Madden, Madden Girl, MADDEN, Freebird by Steven, Stevies, Betsey Johnson, Betseyville, Report Signature, Report, Big Buddha, Wild Pair, Cejon, Jocelyn and Mad Love and BB Dakota.
According to the company website, Steve Madden started the company with $1,100 in 1990 by selling shoes out of the trunk of his car. Steven Madden, Ltd. was incorporated in New York on July 9, 1990 and reincorporated under the same name in Delaware in November 1998. The company reported net sales of $1.4 billion for 2015.
There are approximately 120 Steve Madden stores across the United States, and 250 in over 65 countries.
Awards and honors
- Footwear News Best Performing Wholesaler Award (December 2011)
- Footwear News Company of the Year Award (November 2011)
- NASDAQ Honors Steve Madden & 20 Year Anniversary (June 2010)
- Nordstrom "Partners in Excellence" Award (May 2010)
- AAFA American Image Awards - Brand of the Year (May 2010)
- Footwear News Milestone Issue (February 2010)
- Footwear News Company of the Year Award (December 2009)